REMOTE SUMMER PROGRAMS 2020
In light of the current situation with COVID-19, we have reconfigured our Summer Academic Program into two virtual, Zoom-based offerings. One program is designed for DV students hoping to maintain and build their language arts and reading skills. The second program is designed predominantly for non-DV students in need of the type of direct instruction we offered through Distance DV; many students did not receive this caliber of instruction in their distance learning programs. Below is the information on both programs:
One-on-One Multisensory, Orton-Gillingham Based Literacy Program (For students enrolled at DV for the 2020-21 school year)
Our expert teachers, trained through our IMSLEC accredited teacher training program, will schedule online sessions that work for each family, bringing high-quality, individualized instruction into your home. Whether the goal is making progress in decoding or polishing writing skills, DV Summer instructors are available to help. This service is primarily intended for DV students, but spaces are limited.
DATES: July 1 - 31, 2020
TIMES: Flexible Scheduling: 20 1-hour Zoom sessions
GRADES: All grades, returning and newly enrolled DV students
REGISTER: contact Kavitha Patel at summer@DVFriends.org
- Families will schedule their Zoom sessions directly with their instructor.
- Lessons will be customized for each student based on their learning needs, skills, and goals. Lessons will include decoding, spelling, vocabulary, morphology, writing, reading, fluency, and reading comprehension skills as appropriate for each student.
Questions? Please contact Megan Fairchild, Director of Teacher Training for the DVFriends Adolescent Literacy Program, who will oversee this one-on-one summer offering.
Small-Group English/Language Arts and Math Instruction (Predominantly for Non-DV students, rising 5th - 12th grades)
In recognition that many distance learning programs did not incorporate the live, direct instruction that our teachers delivered through Distance DV, we are offering small group lessons in English/Language Arts (ELA) and Math to help predominantly non-DV students catch up in these subject areas and prepare for fall. Students in this program do not have to have a diagnosed learning difference.
DATES: July 6 - 31, 2020; Mondays through Thursdays
TIMES: 1-hour class sessions each for ELA and math scheduled between 9:00 am and 12:30 pm
CLASS SIZE: 4-5 students per class
GRADES: Rising 5th - 12th grades
- Grade-level, standards-based curriculum in math and ELA to help students prepare for fall
- Taught by highly experienced teachers Live instruction via Zoom -- 1-hour class sessions combining direct instruction and independent practice
- Weekly progress reports from teachers
- No homework -- it's summer!
Questions about this program? Please contact Kathleen Koehler, Summer Program Director and Language Arts Department Chair.